Sunday, September 30, 2012

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

Day 4

I was sad to leave KC. I mean who wouldn't be they have a restaurant that has a meat sampler platter! Roxie's vomit stopped that morning! Thank goodness because I couldn't thing of anything much worse than a car sick dog. As for Gunner he sort of ate. My theory he knew went went to Jack Stacks and was jealous.

After a delicious breakfast of really salty hash browns and yummy bacon we headed out to Omaha. For the record that was the BEST bacon I have ever had. I fancy myself a bacon expert so the Holiday Inn in KC gets 5 stars in the bacon department! Vomit free wash cloths not so much! I was very excited to reach Omaha because after all that is the second home for the Gamecocks!

On our way to Omaha, we drove through Leavenworth, KS. This is where Dave went to school and adopted Gunner. As we got close to the base Gunner started to get really excited. He was doing his "I am so excited, I am about to pee" whine. It appeared as though he was trying to tell Roxie but she was not getting it!

While driving through the post I got to see the Buffalo Solider monument. It wasn't until three days later I put two and two together that Bob Marley was singing about this solider in his song Buffalo Solider.

Dave pointed out where he went to school and it turns out the building now a parking lot. They did however build a new building. He was kind of sad because this is where Patton, McArthur, Eisenhower, Bradley and other famous Generals went to school as well.

I realized that I had ripped my pants leg. So I decided instead of throwing away my favorite yoga pants I would sow the hole shut. News flash- I don't sow, never learned, don't care too and have only sowed one other thing in my life. That time however was an extreme emergency. We popped into the PX and got a sowing kit. Who knew those kits were so involved. Dave asked me if it has black thread. My response- yes why do you ask? He said you are wearing black pants so you need black thread. Humm...never thought about the thread matching. I said good call. So as we continued to drive I began to sow my pants. Yep, the girl that doesn't sow is attempting to sow shut the hole in my pants. Oh and in case you didn't realize...I was sowing them while I was still wearing them. After a few sticks by the needle I saved the beloved yoga pants. It may have a Frankenstein seam but the pants will live again!

We made a couple of stops. One to see the Pony Express stables. I thought it was stupid to pay to go inside so, I just peaked in through the window I guess I should change my name again to "Peeping Penelope". While I was peeping in the windows I didn't realize the "museum" worker was staring at me while she was smoking a cig. Oops! We made our way to see where Jesse James was killed.

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere we spotted a truck hauling a Chick-fil-a sign. Well that was a most unfortunate event since that made both of us want some nuggets and waffle fries.

In Omaha we stopped by the old stadium where the college world series was played and then the new one. It was very cool! They even had a USC flag hanging up in the store.

For dinner that night we went to a little brewery and we actually got Cajun style food. I asked the owner if he was from the south he said no. He did thank us for liking the "heat" of the food. I guess in NE, Cajun heat is not fully appreciated!

Other happenings:

Roxie got into briars so...that was fun trying to get those out of her paws. (insert sarcasm)

A town we stopped in had a fund raiser that was "bacon dinner" why I have I never been invited to such an event?

Some cop pulled a smokey and the bandit move and went hauling around a truck on the entrance ramp to pull some car over.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment